Do you want to get rid of spiders from coming into your home? In this article, we are going to explain all the reasons we attract spiders. You should know the causes of what attracts them in the first place. Plus, we will discuss how to prevent and take control of an infestation. So, to make your house spider-proof, read this article carefully.
Things That May Attract Spiders
Spiders feed on insects so that they may attract insects in your home. Insects they like the most include drain flies, fruit flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches, earwigs, moths, etc. If you’ve such insects in your home, then you’ll likely see spiders in your home.
Warm places attract spiders because they are resistant to cold areas. Usually, when they bite, they wander around in summer, but they usually hide in their shelters during the winter.
They can be found near water sources like sinks, taps, and bathroom tubs. To avoid spiders in these areas, you may cover your tubs and turn off the water taps while leaving these places.
They prefer to live in private places where no one can see them. Usually, they live in corners, gaps, crevices, and other empty spaces in homes.
It’s not the direct source of attracting spiders. But it’s an indirect source that causes the entry of spiders into your home. If you have recently picked up some old second-hand furniture in your home, it may be possible that spider’s eggs could lay within it. Indirectly, you’ll be bringing spiders into your home.
Spider Glue Traps
Spiders are attracted to pheromones which are found in common spider glue traps.
Other Spiders To Mate With
Spiders produce a unique clicking sound when they have they are trying to mate. Doing this, they attract other spiders to mate.
Domestic wastes in homes usually contain insects and other debris that attracts spiders. To avoid spiders from entering your home, try to keep your buckets empty and drain other wastes out of the house.
Spiders are cannibalistic, so they feed on insects or even eighteen-eight leggeds. Therefore, they often help in pest control. To get rid of spiders, you may first have to control other pests lurking around your house.
Spiders are known to crawl over fruits. Fruits like bananas, grapes, etc., attract spiders. Sometimes, they hide within the fruit. Obviously, we suggest checking fruits properly before buying or eating them.
The Different Spider Species
After knowing what attracts the spiders, you should also know some Common species of house spiders. Let’s take a look!
Thin spiders with long eight legs are usually known as Daddy long legs spiders. They don’t harm humans. They eat other spiders and can only be grown up to 9mm in size. Female spiders carry their eggs in front of their legs and lay them in their habitat.
Brown House Spider
Brown house spiders are venomous. Brown spiders live in buildings, backyard sheds, and homes. Their webs are usually close to the ground, and the bite from a brown house spider is very severe. When they bite humans, it can cause bristles around their bite on human skin.
Australian Funnel-Web Spider
Funnel-web Spiders live in eastern Australia and love to live in humid or colder places. They usually feed on lizards, insects, and frogs. Its bite is excruciating, and most people can’t bear it. Once they bite humans, it can be fatal. Usually, they are nocturnal and found in backyard sheds and walls of homes. So, if you want to kill this species, do not attempt to rid them yourself. Get a pest control expert to take control of spiders.
The “redback” spider is named that because of the red mark on its back. It has long legs with distinctive shapes and is found under stones, in logs, in attics, flowerpots, and houses. They’re incredibly harmful and challenging for the average person to handle on their own. Make sure to get a pest control expert to manage them.
Habitat of Spiders
Spiders usually prefer to live in crevices, cracks, and spaces that are unnoticed by people. In addition, damp places where insects are found have also become the habitat of spiders. Take a look around your home. You might find them in the following areas:
- Basement and garages
- Cellars and inside vehicles
- Closets and corners of roofs
- Behind Indoor furniture and other appliances
- Near swimming pools
- Near fruits and other food
How To Stop Spiders Coming Into Your Home?
No doubt spiders can cause serious problems. Keep reading! Here, we will discuss some tips to follow, measures to take, and home remedies to try for you if you want to clear them.
Tips To Prevent Spiders
- Close windows and doors properly at night.
- Check your pets before entering your home. Pets sometimes like to eat spiders when they feel their movement.
- Keep your home clutter-free because sliders like to hide in crevices, cracks, and other closets.
- Constantly remove webs from walls or corners of your home.
Clear dead or injured insects to limit spider food.
- Please turn off unnecessary lights to get rid of spiders. They are attracted to light. If you need to turn on the light, make sure to close the windows or doors.
- Frequent dusting can be helpful to remove spiders from your home.
Seal the caulks and cracks in the windows and walls of your home because sliders can also take shelter there.
- Remove unnecessary indoor plants where you find any spider to walk. Plants, leaves, and flowers are also the habitats of spiders.
- Spraying places with specially made spider pesticides, where you find them wandering around.
- Wash the dishes where you see spiders because sometimes they lay eggs and leave. If they don’t lay eggs, there may still be chances of bacteria on these dishes.
- Get a professional pest control expert to Fogg your house for severe infestations.
4 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Spiders
Many pest control companies offer services to eliminate spiders from your home. But still, there are some natural ways you can do this in your home. Let’s explore the top four ways to make your house spider-proof.
- Lemon Peel
Spiders don’t like the smell of lemon or oranges. Rub the edges of glass or windows openings.
- Peppermint Oil
This oil works in getting rid of spiders from home. Mix 1 part peppermint oil with 1 part water in a spraying bottle. After thoroughly mixing, spray it over the place where you’ve seen spiders. It will kill not only spiders but also many other minor bugs.
- White Vinegar
It’s also a good spider repellent. Mix it well with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water (in a spray bottle) and spray this mixture into crevices, cracks, and gaps into windows or doors, etc.
Chestnuts are also another spider repellent. The natural oils present in chestnuts are a powerful deterrent. You can decorate chestnuts along with the windows & baseboard where you’ve seen spiders. That helps you to get rid of spiders from your home.
Many insecticides are used to kill spiders, but the most effective ones I found are cyfluthrin, deltamethrin, and bifenthrin. In addition, Windex is a dangerous household cleaner for pests but safe for humans, so it can be effective in killing spiders.
If there is infestation from two or three spiders, call exterminators to control them. With the help of an exterminator, spiders are hunted and killed permanently. Normal spiders may not harm, but certain species like black widow spiders are harmful and fatal to humans. So please don’t take it easy and take control over them.
Vacuuming spiders is also another effective way to control spiders coming into your home. This method includes pulling spiders and their web into a vacuum bag. If you do it regularly, you certainly get control over spiders.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: Do spiders feed on human foods?
- Answer: Not at all; spiders don’t feed on human food because they can’t digest them. In addition, they prefer to eat dead or injured insects like moths, cockroaches, and others inside your home.
- Question: Is it necessary to clean the place where spiders live?
- Answer: Yes, the place where you’ve seen any spider to wander around, you must clean this area. Because they may leave bacteria to these places, and they may even lay eggs there.
- Question: Do spiders crawl on me while I’m sleeping?
- Answer: It’s a common myth that spiders can crawl over humans when asleep. But it usually doesn’t happen because spiders are somewhat shy towards humans.
- Question: Do dead spiders attract other spiders?
- Answer: Not at all; they don’t attract dead or injured spiders because spiders are arachnids and don’t belong to categories of bees or ants.
- Question: Can spiders be found in clothes?
- Answer: Spiders prefer to live in places where people can’t reach, such as cracks and crevices. Daily used clothes won’t be the habitat of spiders. But old piles of clothes have ample chances to have spiders.
- Question: Do spiders bite humans or pets?
- Answer: It depends on the spider. But, spiders usually don’t bite humans or pets but may cause infection due to their bacterial production. Or, if a spider is venomous, it may bite humans, and its bite can be painful and even fatal to humans.
To sum up, spiders are attracted most towards dead or injured insects. However, spiders are not dangerous to humans except venomous spiders but cause a bacterial infestation in your home. We hope this article has helped you.
Need To Kill Spiders? Use These👇
[products ids=”3377, 3342, 3297, 3470″]
Get A Professional
If you are suffering from a severe spider infestation, stop what you are doing and call a certified pest professional today!